Cleansing and alkalizing avocado stars in this favorite Mexican dip that’s colorfully scooped up with assorted bell pepper strips for a satisfying starter to any meal.
- 1 ripe Haas avocado
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 1 small tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper (optional)
- Pinch of sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped cilantro leaves
- Red, yellow, and orange bell pepper strips
- Cut avocado in half lengthwise and twist apart. Discard seed and scoop out flesh into a medium bowl. Add lime juice and mash, using the back of a fork, until smooth yet slightly chunky.
- Stir in onion, tomato, jalapeno (if using), salt, pepper, and cilantro. Transfer to a clean bowl and serve immediately with the bell pepper strips. To store, cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 1 day.
Upgrade to 60/40: Stir in a dollop of sour cream for extra creaminess and serve with reduced-salt whole grain tortilla chips along with the bell pepper strips.